Ben and Brian ring in the new year (a little late) by discussing how they approach new year's resolutions and how they might apply that kind of goal making to their professional ambitions. Brian suggests breaking up your yearly goals into more digestible pieces and attacking them iteratively rather than all at once (sound familiar?). They end by discussing some sensible ways to track the progress of their (and your) coding projects to stay accountable.
Follow us on Twitter @mvcpodcast for updates on new episodes and other fun stuff.
00:52- Establishing new habits
08:56- Plan for your goals by first choosing some
27:46- Process oriented vs. outcome oriented
33:57- Sensible ways to track progress
- Meetup.com - Place to organize and find meet ups in your area (for the U.S. at least)
- Hacking with Swift - Paul Hudson's excellent iOS learning blogs/lessons
- Advent of Code - Yearly coding challenges in December leading up to Christmas
Hosts' January Goals
- Attend 1 meetup per month
- 5 GitHub submissions per week
- 1 lesson or other educational piece of content on his personal website per week